Saturday, January 8, 2011

#2 Xanax is Awesome!

I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Sometimes I feel like I AM PTSD, like it is my entire identity. Those are the times when the PTSD takes over my life and leaves very little room for anything else.

That is where I am this week. Helicopters are a huge trigger of my PTSD. The sight of a helicopter, in the air, or on the ground, is enough to send me into little shivers of anxiety. My face tingles, my ears ring, I get tunnel vision.

The SOUND of a helicopter is a whole other ball game. The sound can send me into instant panic mode. I feel the overwhelming need to run. To hide. I feel like my life is in danger. I feel like that helicopter is actually coming for me and I am going to die.

It's not logical, it's not rational, and I have absolutely no control over it.

Most of the time I am able to keep myself under control. I am able to self talk myself back to calm. But proximity plays a huge roll. The closer the sound, the higher the terror level.

On monday I had a very distressing experience. It has sent my PTSD into a tailspin and this week has been pretty worthless for me. I have suffered from rolling anxiety attacks. They only last a few minutes, but they come one, after another, after another until I feel like my mind is breaking and I am about to step off the edge into a dark place that I can never come back from. I have spent most of the week in an Xanax induced haze which leads me to my Awesome post for today.

Xanax is awesome. Without Xanax and it's ability to calm the terrors that eat me alive from the inside, my world would be a very very horrible place. Without Xanax I wouldn't be able to find that calm place of peace and safety again. Without Xanax I wouldn't be able to calm my terrors and tuck them safely back into their little closet until the next tramatic event comes along and opens the door again.

Without Xanax, I wouldn't HAVE a life.

Xanax is AWESOME!

5 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your PTSD. I am glad that you have found a way to deal with it. Maybe with time the episodes will lesson in impact to your daily life. I'll be praying that you get better. Even though I don't know you--God does and He cares too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lost both my parents, three months apart, nine years ago, I started having lots of anxiety. My Dr. finally convinced me to try Xanax and it was a life saver for me too. I haven't taken it regularly in years but I did use it for a while and then was able to give it up but I have to admit that I occasionally reach for one when I am very stressed. Thank God for modern medicine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I'm getting a late start on this project of yours, but I still plan to participate. I recently moved and JUST unpacked things a few days ago. Looking forward to this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your story. The blessing of Xanax has helped me through some difficult times. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I DO NOT recommend this drug. It is habit forming and when I tried to stop taking it as often, my panic attacks got WORSE, I spiraled downward and epic speeds!!!

    xanax info

    ReplyDelete

Hey, I would love to hear from you =0)